Thursday, September 15, 2011

More Bad News for Unemployment

State Labor Commissioner Brad Avakian has announced that he is increasing the minimum wage to $8.80 beginning January 1, 2012.

Democrats talk about "social justice." They do not take responsibility when their policies result in fewer people being hired. So, expect employment to take another hit in January.

“Oregonians recognize the rising cost of living facing every one of us, and our strong minimum wage law is essential insurance that Oregon workers and their families can maintain their purchasing power and continue to contribute to our local economies,” said Avakian. “At the same time, although five out of six Oregon employers don’t offer minimum wage jobs, I know that it’s important to continue my dialogue with the businesses, many of them small operations, that do.  Understanding their challenges will benefit our entire economy.” (Brad Avakian.)


That is, if they are able to keep their jobs.

Kinda hard to earn minimum wage without one.

4 comments:

ZZMike said...

Here's an even better idea. Set the Minimum Wage to $30/hr. Then everybody could live real high in the hog.

MAX Redline said...

You're gonna vote for Brad, right? We really need a guy like him in Congress.

The state labor commissioner's job pays $72,000 a year.

His calendar shows that more than 70 percent of his hours during the working day were devoted to campaign functions from July 1 to Aug. 24, the latest period covered by the material obtained by The Oregonian under the state's Public Records Act.

Ten Mile Island said...

From the rumblings I've heard so far, Brad Witt has the labor money.
.

Anonymous said...

No. No. No. I make minumum wage. That's not why I'm poor right now. I'm poor because my employer couldn't afford to give the drivers at my work the hours that they need. I'm poor because I was only able to work 15 hours a week most of this summer. I'm poor because even when business is good, he can't afford to work me more than 40 hours a week. Do you realize what most minimum wage workers do at their jobs? It's probably not worth $8.50. I am thankful for minimum wage because it would destroy me right now to earn $3 an hour. $8.80 though... we will either lose jobs or affordable pizza, and I'm not sure which is worse.